The first tournament was held over 70 years ago and was known as the Sandilands and Sutton-on-Sea Tennis Tournament. In those days the August Bank Holiday was always on the first Monday in August and families and their house guests from Grimsby, Nottingham and Leicester would meet over that weekend and play tennis against each other.
What began as family tennis parties quickly developed into a tournament with County players taking part. A founder member and organiser of that tournament was the late Mr Coote Green from Grimsby. One of the attractions of Sandilands is its apparent immunity to change, but even Sandilands could not ignore the outbreak of the second world war in 1939 and the tournament that year was the last for almost 20 years.
The tournament was revived by Richard Bellamy and Henry Taylor. The president of the re-establised tournament was the late Jack Phillips. The tournament has always been fortunate in being able to rely on the generosity and hospitality of private court owners and local authorities in Sutton and Mablethorpe for the use of their courts.
In addition the Grange and Links Hotel constructed 2 hard courts in 1981 making the tournament secretary's job easier and also led to the establishment of the Spring and August Bank Holiday mixed doubles tournaments. Over the years the tournament committee has been well served by it's members who have given freely of their time to ensure that Tennis Week retains an important position in Lincolnshires' sporting and social calendar.